You may not believe it but it is the fact that your tongue can tell you a lot about your overall health. There are some colors and textures of tongue that you can look into the mirror and get to know about the health condition you are having deep down in your body. Moreover, any pain and irritation in your tongue can be a sign of any disease in your body. Even if you are unable identify disease this way, your dentist can do it.
A few conditions of tongue and their connection with the health issues are worth mentioning in this regard.
White coating or spots on your tongue
There can be a few reasons for your tongue to have white coating or spots.
- The first reason to mention is the oral thrush. This condition is also known as yeast infection. This condition involves development of white patches on the tongue. This infection occurs mostly in elderly people and infants but it can also occur in younger adults. The main reason for this condition is the weakened immune system due to diabetes and inhalation of steroids for the treatment of asthma.
- Another condition in which the cells of the mouth grow excessively is known as leukoplakia. In this condition, the white patches develop on the tongue. Use of tobacco is the main reason for the development of this disease. Moreover, leukoplakia can be a precursor to the oral cancer.
The red tongue
Redness of tongue can also tell you about your health in a number of ways.
- The reddish appearance of your tongue can be due to deficiency of vitamin B-12.
- There another condition of tongue that is called geographic tongue. This condition involves appearance of spots or patches that can have white borders. These spots are reddish. Generally, these spots are not harmful but you should consult your dentist or doctor to get your tongue checked.
- Another condition that can turn the tongue red is called scarlet fever. This condition causes the tongue to appear like a strawberry with red and bumpy spots. The fever can be high and painful; so you need to see your doctor as soon as possible. This condition is normally treatable with the help of antibiotics.
Black and hairy tongue
In some cases, you may find your tongue getting hairy and black. It is due to the overgrowth of papillae. The condition can look quite scary but it is not quite harmful. The black appearance is due to the bacteria settling in the papillae. Due to this very reason, you need to get this condition treated because bacteria can cause damage to your oral and overall health. Normally, the use of scrapper or brushing your tongue can help you get rid of this condition.